Sunday, December 14, 2014

Strasbourg

Oh, how we love Strasbourg, France! Because we just can’t stay away, we’ve already ventured to Strasbourg 3 times. It’s only about 2 hours from where we live, so it’s the perfect distance for a weekend adventure.

While we were living in Richmond, VA, we stumbled upon a French restaurant (mainly because I was begging Evan to find a bathroom for me). The owner of the restaurant was originally from Strasbourg and told us that we must go to the Christmas markets there and sent us a list of restaurants and bakeries to try.

So, of course the avid adventurers that we are, off we went to Strasbourg as soon as Evan’s car arrived in Germany (2nd weekend that we were there). Needless to say, we were not disappointed in the least with the festivities and food in this city!


Of course we had to take a gluhwein selfie! NUMNUM. We were a little saddened to find out that the French only serve their gluhwein in plastic glasses instead of the classy German mugs. However, the tastiness of the gluhwein compensated for the lack of mugs, I suppose. I had my first authentic French bread pizza here, which was absolutely DELISH.



As we were standing at the markets filling our bellies with tasty treats and scrumptious wine, a swarm of santas on mopeds filled the streets everywhere. It was hysterical, and we loved every minute of it.

 


Now, every city center has a cathedral, but there was nothing ordinary about the cathedral in Strasbourg. It was absolutely breathtaking. Strasbourg built their cathedral to mimic Notre Dame in Paris.  The architecture was absolutely stunning.


 


Every street was lined with Christmas lights and decorations, and the city center looked like something out of a storybook. It was enchanting, to say the least.



Although I didn’t snag a picture of it, there is a bakery called Nagle’s in Strasbourg near the cathedral. They have some of the absolutely most delicious pastries and desserts I have ever had. As I was stuffing my face with 2 desserts that Evan and I ordered, a French man came over to laugh at me and said “You really like the French pastries, don’t you?” I’m not sure if he knew I was American because of my outfit or because the French would never eat like I was (with icing all over my hands and face), but regardless, he was exactly right – I do LOVE the French desserts!

Strasbourg take 2:
When I returned to Strasbourg with my family this past spring, it was as beautiful as ever! The city center wasn’t quite as packed, but that doesn’t stop little vendors from coming and trying to sell their products (mostly books, pictures, crafts).




We went to the Gutenberg restaurant, appropriately located across from a statue of none other than Gutenberg himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment